Ask and we shall tell
You can find answers to most questions here but if you have a question that’s not answered below then check our ‘How they work‘ page or failing that please contact us at we will get back to you as soon as we can with an answer.
Q. Why should I use a seedbom?
The world is full of places that are unfortunately a little rundown, tired and unloved. Seedboms give you the power to brighten up these places with flowers allowing you to make a responsible impact and a difference however small it may be. Plus they are fun!
Q. How do Seedboms work?
You can find out how they work by visiting our ‘how they work page‘
Q. What are seedboms made from?
Seedboms are made a starch and natural fibre based mix which is fully biodegradable.
Q. Why the grenade shape?
The Grenade shape has extremely negative and aggressive connotations. Our intention is to re-appropriate the idea, to turn the function on it’s head and create a positive impact rather than a negative one.
By taking the concept and giving it a new more positive function we feel we are robbing it of it’s power. Instead of waging war on other nations / cultures we are waging war on wasteland, on dull, lifeless spaces and giving them life and colour in the form of wildflowers. In place of destruction Seedboms create life!
The fact the grenade shell is made from a starch and natural fibre based compostable material is also an important factor in the re-appropriation. Our grenades will completely disappear over time as they give over flowers and biodegrade into the environment, thus losing its power as a negative form.
We are aware the grenade shape may not be to everyones taste and may have the opposite effect we intend. However the concept is going to be divisive, we can’t expect everyone to like it, but we can live with that.
Q. What size are the Seedboms?
Seedboms are approximately 5.5cm in diameter and 8cm high.
Q. Where are Seedboms made?
Our Seedbom shells are manufactured in the Netherlands. Everything is assembled, finished and packed in Glasgow, Scotland. Around 15 mins drive from our office….handy eh!
Q. What seeds are inside the Seedboms?
We use a variety of seeds in our range. These include native single variety wildflower seeds such as Cornflowers, Corn Poppies and Forget-me-nots as well as wildflower mixes created to attract bees, butterflies and birds. We also use the occasional herb such as Thyme and Catnip. All our seeds are Flora Locale accredited and non GMO.
Q. How many seeds are there in a Seedbom?
Each Seedbom contains approximately 1 gram of seeds. Quantities vary depending on variety and seed size i.e. larger seeds approx 10 seeds per gram, mixes approx 100 seeds per gram and tiny seeds such as poppies can be approx 10,000 seeds per gram.
Q. When can I use Seedboms?
Seedboms are designed to be used from around April till June however depending on the variety you can use grow them as early as March and as late as October (flower the following year) is some cases. Further details can be found on each of the individual Seedbom product pages as well as on the packaging itself.
Q. How long can I keep my Seedbom before using?
For best results use your Seedbom within 1 year of purchase. Keep cool and dry when storing.
Q. My Seedbom won’t grow, what’s wrong?
There are a number of reasons why your seedbom may not grow, we try to give the best advice on how to grow your seedbom and we make seedboms in a way that gives the seeds the best chance of growing. However we cannot unfortunately offer any guarantees, nature plays by its own rules and sometimes things just don’t grow when they should. Seedboms need 3 basic things to grow and survive, water, heat and light. Take anyone of these 3 things away and they just won’t grow. If you are having repeated problems from lack of growth or dying seedlings then please get in touch and tell us about it, in most cases we will endeavor to replace your seedboms where possible. Follow these simple rules and hopefully things will grow just fine. (Further details can be found on our ‘How they work‘ page).
- Shake your Seedbom to disperse the seeds inside the shell.
- Soak your Seedbom. We recommend you soak your seedboms before use. Simply pull out the pin stopper and slowly pour in water until it has soaked through, goes soft and changes colour from light to dark. However do not over soak or over water, this can damage the seeds/seedlings and will inhibit growth.
- Give your Seedbom light. Make sure your seedbom is getting enough natural light in its location. If you are having trouble growing them outdoors why not try germinating them indoors in a pot by a window before planting out once established.
- Give them heat. Ensure you use your seedboms during the seasons specified on the packaging to give them the best chance of growing. Although we cannot guarantee heat during these seasons these are the growing seasons specified by the suppliers and should stimulate healthy growth. 5
- As a rule of thumb avoid frost and don’t give up! Many wildflowers will lay dormant for weeks or months before sprouting into action when the time is right. Your Seedbom may look like it’s dying off after initial growth, that is normal. Don’t throw it out just yet, there could be wildflowers waiting to pop up the following spring once given a chance.
Q. Why can't I order just one Seedbom?
We’ve set our minimum order to £5 so that only 2 or more Seedboms can be purchased. There are 2 reason for this:
- We are an environmentally conscious company. We hate to use more packaging than necessary and increase carbon footprint by clocking up road miles for deliveries. To send only one Seedbom uses lots of energy, sending two effectively halves the energy used.
- A lot of time and man power goes into processing, packing, labelling and dispatching orders. It can seem like a lot of effort for only one Seedbom.
We hope you understand! If for any reason you really only need one Seedbom and you really can’t order two then email us and we’ll do what we can to help.
Q. Do you offer bulk discounts?
Yes we do! Following discounts will automatically apply when adding Seedboms to the basket:
Spend £100+ to get 10% off your order.
Spend £200+ to get 20% off your order.
Q. How do Bloom Points work?
Q. Do you ship outside Europe?
Unfortunately no we don’t due to strict customs restrictions on import / export of seeds in many countries. However we do sell a US version of the Butterflybom and Pollinator Beebom through our US partner noted* meaning you can find Seedboms in the US in stores such as Terrain.
Q. I am interested in stocking seedboms in my shop, how do I go about setting this up?
Visit our Wholesale page and fill out the application. We will then check things over and all going well we’ll approve your account. You’ll then be able to login to the website as a wholesaler and view our trade prices and place an order.